Marlin firmware tutorial

General discussion of 3D printers

Marlin firmware tutorial

Postby tmccafferty » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:12 am

Has anyone seen anything on the web that explains the Marlin code in any detail. I am new to Arduinos and it's been a long time since I did any C. I can poke around in it, but haven't figured it all out.
tmccafferty

Re: Marlin firmware tutorial

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 am

Ewww - well, you picked an entertaining place to get into it. Marlin is a mashup of grbl and sprinter, and does some really funky stuff to - for example - avoid floating point math.

I don't know of anywhere other than the Marlin development group where there's much discussion, much less any concept of code explanation...
SystemsGuy

Postby Kellerkind » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 am

if you are new to c/arduinos you might just wanna settle with poking around in the Configuration.h and maybe Configuration_adv.h, usually all you need is in there.
if you *really* want to understand the internal stuff you might want to start with some parts like gcode parser and stepper stuff from grbl ( https://github.com/grbl/grbl/ ) and then move on to locating them marlin.
but like systemsguy posted.... funky place to start with c/arduino
Kellerkind

Postby tmccafferty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:54 am

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have poked around in the two files mentioned and indeed did find what I probably need. I just like to understand things. Perhaps that will come with time.
tmccafferty

Postby SystemsGuy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Tell ya what - if you figure out the acceleration and jerk code, drop me a note. It's not close to perfect, and I've not had the time - or the ability more than likely - to delve into it too deeply.

If you ever get a chance to visit someone who has a MarkerBot Rep1 and is running Dan & Jetty's "Sailfish", you'll see what I mean!

tmccafferty wrote:Ok, thanks for the advice. I have poked around in the two files mentioned and indeed did find what I probably need. I just like to understand things. Perhaps that will come with time.
SystemsGuy

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:42 pm

tmccafferty wrote:I just like to understand things. Perhaps that will come with time.

Time, and lots and lots of work. That's my day job, I should know. :)
cvoinescu

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion