QU-BU Extruder Improvements

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: QU-BU Extruder Improvements

Postby tmccafferty » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:50 am

Back2.jpg
Grips low on tube to minimize affects of thermal expansion on z zero. Thumbscrews allow for adjustment. Fan mounts against hole in carriage plate.
tmccafferty

Postby tmccafferty » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 am

I will route the part from phenolic as that is what I currently have.
I still need to design a cap to fasten on top for the air tube quick disconnect.
The pocket around the tube on the bottom view (left) is to further minimize thermal transfer from the tube.

Part2.jpg
tmccafferty

Postby brnrd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Can phenolic take the temperature near the nozzle? There must be a reason that most people use PEEK.
brnrd

Postby orcinus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Three issues i foresee with the latest version:

1) the clamp system's central bit (the one with the rectangular opening for the nuts) is very likely to crack, since the wall gets really thin (and is sharp-edged on top of that)
2) the fan opening in the back of the bracket won't help much, because there's going to be a makerslide right behind that opening, blocking the air flow
3) you will likely have issues mounting the limit switch and the belt clamp due to the fan opening
orcinus

Postby tmccafferty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 am

brnrd wrote:Can phenolic take the temperature near the nozzle? There must be a reason that most people use PEEK.

How hot do you think the outer part of the tube get?
tmccafferty

Postby Zat German » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:17 am

tmccafferty wrote:How hot do you think the outer part of the tube get?

I believe he's talking about the heat rising from the hot brass nozzle just below.
Zat German

Postby tmccafferty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 am

Wow, McMaster gets $408 for a sq ft of 3/8 PEEK
tmccafferty

Postby brnrd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 am

There's heat coming from below and there's also heat coming from inside the PEEK since the brass piece threads into the PEEK up to around the where the fins start.

I think a good design would be an aluminum clamp at the top of the PEEK part so that it also doubles as a heat sink. Clamps similar to what you designed would allow for the nozzles to be leveled to each other. You can also allow for some adjustment in the way you mount the hot ends to the x carriage. You can also make a plate like hotends.com with two slots for the hot ends and screw holes instead of mounting slots and do all the adjustment on the carriage mount.
brnrd

Postby Enraged » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:10 pm

I just ordered a pair of these to see if they help, I had good luck with the 2.0 bolt: http://shop.arcol.hu/item/mini_hyena_5mm
Enraged

Postby Enraged » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:46 am

I recieved the Arcol mini hyena, Barts improved filament guide and bearing unit, as well as one of the new barrels from qubd. I just got it all put together, and it seems to be working so far in testing (1.75mm Voxel black PLA). I need to wire up the fans and clean up the wiring before I can print, so we'll see if it works with this combo of parts...
Enraged

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion