http://www.indiegogo.com/green3d

$0 of $500 goal as of this post
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: 3D Printers Are Deadly!

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 pm

LOL - he's up to $20, but I'm not driven enough to contribute just to comment. I do vent my print room, but these days I'm doing mostly PLA!
:lol:
SystemsGuy

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:43 pm

That's a lot of chutzpah. There's no known environmental problem with hydrogen cyanide -- in fact, large amounts of it are released when wood is burned, whether by humans or naturally, as forest fires; any quantity we add by heating plastic is insignificant. There is, however, an environmental problem with producing and disposing of paper and/or plastic, which is what those filters are made of. Experiments show that PLA and ABS from all sources tested release no measurable cyanide, so the health benefits related to cyanide are nil. And the ability of those filters to retain hydrogen cyanide is unproven at best. So that project is less green than not doing it at all, and useless to boot. Way to prey on uninformed people's fears!
cvoinescu

Postby Praxis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 am

While I don't think there's any real danger posed by printing ABS at specified temps, it certainly is possible to generate HCN, in addition to all sorts of other nasty volatiles, if you overheat it. At least this addresses a concern people have, even if only the most paranoid among us will take steps to do so.

Also, the design looks like ass to me. If you want a really 'green' solution that's effective and doesn't need replacement parts, I'd go with a coronal discharge ion-wind style filter.
Praxis

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm

I am unconvinced that zit treatment pads and an acrylic box will remove Hydrogen Cyanide from the air surrounding the printer. No wonder he's still only at $20 funded after a month. :lol:
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby geoffd123 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 am

I blogged this article a while back, basically it is safe. http://apapageek.blogspot.fr/2012/09/i-came-across-this-interesting-post-on.html
How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else. - R. Buckminster Fuller

http://apapageek.com
geoffd123

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion