Crimpers

General discussion of 3D printers

Crimpers

Postby robotdad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:41 pm

I've got a cheapo waldon crimper that I'm frustrated with. Do these work with the microfit connectors used on the ord bot? http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1928

Do they work well?

I'm loathe to spend >$100 on what seem like simple pliers, but after using some Molex crimpers at Metrix last week I might bite the bullet. I'm wasting far too much time on crimping and seeing too many failures with what I'm doing now.
robotdad

Re: Crimpers

Postby Zat German » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 pm

These are the ones I have and they have worked well for me.
Zat German

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:54 pm

For molex crimping, I recommend the ones from http://lutro0-customs.com/. He even shows results of his crimpers and others, how to crimp right, and what failures look like.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby SystemsGuy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 am

I don't see a sample of those crimping MicroFit's - they are a right pain in the arse without Molex dies...

TLHarrell wrote:For molex crimping, I recommend the ones from http://lutro0-customs.com/. He even shows results of his crimpers and others, how to crimp right, and what failures look like.
SystemsGuy

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

I mostly work with computer stuff, and I have one of the Lutro0 crimpers on the way. It should arrive today or tomorrow. If you'd like to send me a couple pins, I'd be happy to test them on the crimper to see how it performs. Looks pretty similar to the others.

The crimper sold on Pololu looks like the ones tested on Lutro0, III or IIIII.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:56 pm

I have a set of those blue pololu crimpers. They do about the same quality as you could do by the manual needle node fold over method, but faster. I have the real the crimpers now and don't use them anymore.

Crimping is a learned skill on any crimper. In my opinion, the most important thing is strip length on the wire. Longer is not better, it is worse. If your pin does not crimp correctly on the insulation it will fail. I lend out my crimpers all the time and some people have some of the first crimps fail and give up.

Give each pin a good tug before you put it in the housing. Don't worry a good crimp will not pull off with a reasonable tug. It is a pain if it fails in the housing.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dwjp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:58 pm

I have these: http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mole ... J%252btipx

About a $100 and totally worth it. Official Molex, but designed for service work rather than production, which is plenty good for me. Takes a little practice (getting the terminal into place using the magnetic clamp and working out correct strip length) but they are easily my favorite tool to use.
dwjp

Postby robotdad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:17 am

What about solder pins? Any opinions on going that direction as opposed to crimping? Are those just a time consuming pain?
robotdad

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion