I've finished my Hadron build, except for one little problem

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: I've finished my Hadron build, except for one little pro

Postby rocketwiz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:54 pm

A few other troubleshooting things you could try to determine the cause of glitches - if you are using crimped connectors on your ramps board, check the connections, keep axis stepper cables separated from each other, disconnect the LCD panel, try a different USB cable.
rocketwiz

Postby Gadroc » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Based on your video I do not think it is a limit switch problem. If the limit switches where the problem jogging in the positive direction the axis would move, but when you jogged in the negative direction the axis would stay stationary. You seem to be having scenarios where the axis moves in the wrong direction. This indicates one of few issues I can think of in probability order:

1) Incorrect Pins.h
Stepper drivers have 3 primary control lines from the micro-controller. ENABLE which tells the stepper driver to send power to the coils of the motor. DIRECTION which tells the stepper which direction to turn. Finally, STEP which tells the stepper to turn the motor the proper amount based on the micro-step settings on the driver. Your video looks like movement in the Z axis somehow messes up the direction signal to the Y axis. This indicates you might have a config setup in Pins.h where the Z axis is setup with the same pins as Y.

2) Faulty Stepper Driver
The stepper driver could be bad and inconsistently reading the DIRECTION pin. This could be a physical problem with soldering of the IC or header pins.

2) Faulty RAMPS Board
There could be a defect on the circuit board which let's signal bleed over from pins used in Z and Y.

3) Bug
There could be a bug in the firmware which is using the wrong pins, but this is unlikely if you are using a mainstream firmware. You are not executing uncommon scenarios.
Gadroc

Postby bdring » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:58 pm

What happens if you jog the machine up in Z into the problem area (verify it) then power cycle the controller. Now try moving the Y without any homing or Z moves.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby k4mg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for all the help. I swapped USB cables, swapped the Hadron to my other computer, which also has the newer versions of all the software and works for the Prusa, but not the Hadron, and tried the other suggestions as documented below. Still no joy. When I click Connect on the Prusa (not a Ramps board, it is a PrintrBoard but still using a built in Arduino and Marlin), it connects immediately. On the Hadron, there is a 12 second wait before the 5 commands are processed and it goes to Idle. Is this normal?

@SystemsGuy
Current settings were adjusted by ear, but I rechecked Y with no help. Upped Y and lowered Y current, no help.

Wire colors - As provided by RRD, the jumpers are wired to the female plug in the order blue, red, green, black, which reverses the direction of the stepper movement. I inverted Y in Configuration.h, and my movement became correct, when it works.

@bdring
Jumpering out all the limits switches - First I simple removed the jumpers from the board, no help. I then jumpered them S to Gnd (-), can't move in neg direction on any axis now, no help. I have noticed that I have version 1.0 of the endswitches, and now RRD is supplying version 1.2, but no idea of the difference.

Checked the limit switches with the Z in both positions. - No difference.

Is is possible that the Z limit switch is tripped when the Y +/- is working and them it gets untripped when you move the Z up? - When I home, the switches all still show on after the retract, obviously doesn't move far enough away. I have started the machine up with all three axis off the switches, without homing anything, and it still doesn't work. m119 command never shows any switch on except when it is actually on.

@brnrd
RRD is RepRapDiscount, and I tried your suggestion. I physically disconnected my panel and re-set the defines in the config files, but it didn't fix the problem. Changed USB cable, then whole computer and a third USB cable, no difference.

@rocketwiz
I have soldered connections. Axis stepper cables are separated now, disconnected the LCD panel both physically and in the configurations, and tried a different USB cable. Still doesn't work.

@Gadroc
1) Incorrect Pins.h - Thanks for the detailed info, but resetting pins.h (one line) to as delivered didn't help. I would try going back to an earlier Marlin, but this version works with my Prusa.

2) Faulty Stepper Driver - Swapped Y with my spare extruder driver, still have problem.

2) Faulty RAMPS Board - Unfortunately, it's my only one, no way to test.

3) Bug
There could be a bug in the firmware - I would try going back to an earlier Marlin, but this version works with my Prusa.

@bdring
What happens if you jog the machine up in Z into the problem area (verify it) then power cycle the controller. Now try moving the Y without any homing or Z moves. - It moves correctly again until I move the Z axis.
k4mg

Postby SystemsGuy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm wandering the the direction of a borked RAMPS board I think - nothing else really makes a lot of sense.

I've lost track - did you run the wires in the extrusion or are they out and loose? Only last thing I could suggest would be to remove em if they are in the extrusion and try with everything out in the open...

EDITED : And yes - for whatever reason, it take a few - 10 - for the system to come "live" after connecting it for me as well - I call that "normal".
SystemsGuy

Postby k4mg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 pm

@SystemsGuy
I had all the wires bundled in the split tubing made for this, but took it all out and where I had to cross wires, I crossed at a right angle.

Thanks for the thoughts, I am having them too. After I try an older version of Marlin, if it doesn't work, I am going to ask RepRapDiscount to read this whole post and see what he thinks.
k4mg

Postby k4mg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Downloaded and installed Printrun, tried it just as it came, didn't change any settings, same results, once I move Z, Y only goes positive.
k4mg

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 pm

I would see if it's possible to pull the drivers and wiring off the RAMPS board and check traces related to the step signals. Sounds like something's either shorted or very close to shorting. Run a magnifier over each component connection and see if there's something amiss... extra solder, piece of metal debris, anything.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 pm

It does sound like a possible short on the board, or maybe a CPU with a fried pin. Try to measure the voltage on the DIR pin of the Y driver (with respect to ground) while doing some maneuvers. Marlin does not change the level of the pin until just before it steps, so you don't have to measure while the command is executing, only between them. For example, try these, measuring Y DIR after each step:
1. Move Y positive
2. Move Y negative
3. Move Z up
4. Move Y negative (this would already exhibit the problem, right?)
5. Move Y positive
6. Move Z down
7. Move Y negative
8. Move Y positive

Needless to say, be careful not to short anything when measuring.

Edit: I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the Z driver #ENABLE input is shorted to Y DIR, because that would explain everything we saw in your video, including the fact that it resumed working while you were talking.
cvoinescu

Postby k4mg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Yesterday I put a trouble report into the RRD trouble desk, and I am going to see what they say. I promise to post the results of their help back to this forum.

@TLHarrell
@cvoinescu

I will try your suggestions on Thursday if no help from RRD, or if they say they have mailed me a new board.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help, this forum is a wonderful resource, especially considering the problem was never associated with the Hadron physical kit I got from ATI.
k4mg

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot