HELP!!!!

General discussion of 3D printers

HELP!!!!

Postby syldcru » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Here is the back story to where I am right now. I purchased a RAMPS 1.4 kit, downloaded Adruino .23 / pronterface and Slic3r. I have uploaded the configuration.h file to the arduino. I connected the 4 stepper motors and received errors from pronterface about the missing hardware. Heat bed etc.

I found the Ramps test file, I uploaded the test file to the arduino and the Ramps lights blinks as intended. I removed the USB connection from the Ramps and connect the power and plug in the USB. The lights are still flashing but no movement from the stepper motors. I have adjusted the pots on each driver and still no movement or hum.

I proceeded with connecting all the require devices and now the device will not give me any kind lights or connect to pronterface. When I remove the Ramps from the Arduino the computer recognizes it. I disconnect all the peripherals from the ramps and the attached it to the Arduino and I it it lit up. I am about to scream and pull my hear out over the electronics! Someone please give me some kind of assistance by pointing me in the right direction to a post or provide me a starting point to resolve this.
syldcru

Re: HELP!!!!

Postby enmity » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 pm

does pronterface detect your ramps setup? are you sure power is being applied via your power supply? when I leave my power supply unconnected my azteeg connects and acts like its working except the stepper motors don't move but all the bells and whistles work. what type of firmware are you trying to upload? what test file is it as well?
enmity

Postby syldcru » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm

I will verify this tonight when I get home from work. But I am fairly certain that it is receiving power from the power supply. How canI check the board to verify that it is receiving power.
syldcru

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm

You can't upload Configuration.h. What you do is edit it, compile whatever your firmware is (Marlin?), and upload the result (the compiled firmware) to the Arduino. It's not nitpicking, I've seen people try to feed Configuration.h into avrdude. :)

The RAMPS test file, if it is what I think it is, overwrites the firmware, so you have to upload the compiled firmware again for the Arduino to talk to Pronterface.

Before you worry about limit switches and thermistors, try to fix the fact that the test firmware does not move the motors. It seems that power does not reach the drivers, or they remain disabled. You can use a multimeter to check that the supply voltage is present on the supply terminals, and that it also reaches the respective pins of the drivers. Be careful not to short anything while power is applied. Also check that the drivers are plugged in the right way round (although it may be too late for them if they weren't).

Once you get the motors to run, what seems to happen with the other stuff is a short-circuit (too little data to be sure, but that would be my first guess). Finding that is just a matter of getting the board to work with nothing connected, then connect stuff until it stops working, and so figure out what causes it to stop working. Once you've done that, it should be easy to find out why, and fix it. (Reminder: do not connect or disconnect anything with the board powered. Remove both motor and USB power first.)

I'm sorry there doesn't seem to be an easy way -- this is the easy way. Imagine what you'd do if all the parts were soldered permanently, and the board simply did not power up.
cvoinescu

Postby syldcru » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 pm

I have removed everything but the stepper driver motors, and i get the following errors from proterface

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Jul 15 2013 19:03:51 | Author: (none, default config)
Compiled: Jul 15 2013
echo: Free Memory: 5414 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting

Here are some pictures

syldcru

Postby syldcru » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:48 am

I just tested the stepper drivers and they all give me about 5v when I used my multi meter on the ground and VMOT. What am i missing?
syldcru

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 pm

It may help to know that an open-circuit (disconnected) thermistor reads off-scale low (a very low temperature, usually 0 in Marlin), and a shorted one reads off-scale high (a very high temperature, 300 C or more). Using a thermocouple where a thermistor is expected is nearly the same as a short-circuit. Using a thermistor that does not match the thermistor tables selected in the firmware also results in incorrect temperature readouts.

It seems that your thermistor input may be shorted, or you may have your firmware configured with the wrong input pins or thermistor tables. What does Pronterface say about the extruder and bed temperatures?

The drivers need at least 12 V on Vmot. Are you measuring in the right spot? Does your supply give 12 V or more? Is the polyfuse intact?

In the image, you should measure 5 V between the two pins in the red circle, and 12 V between the two pins in the yellow circle (negative on the left pin, the one with the square pad, and positive on the right as pictured).
IMG_20130715_191055.png
cvoinescu

Postby syldcru » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Thank you all for your help! It was the power that made it unable to run the stepper driver motors! I guess I will turn this posting into my buildlog of my Orb Bot Hardon!
syldcru

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion