Wiring reprap discount kit end stops

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Wiring reprap discount kit end stops

Postby oldrayj » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks to the forum we have information on how to mount the new end stops that came with the reprap discount Ord Bot kit. Now, how do you hook them up (the instructions on the reprap wiki have not been updated)? Thanks
oldrayj

Re: Wiring reprap discount kit end stops

Postby jammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 am

What controller are you going to use? I ask because I know that I have read a post here in the past week about wiring them up with an X3 board which is what I have. I can't find the post right now which I know is really not helpful to you. I will have to find it in the next couple of days since I am beginning the wiring stage. I will let you know when I find it again.
jammer

Postby oldrayj » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I have a Gadgets3D Ramps 1.4 board. Wiring for it is probably similar to that for your board. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.
oldrayj

Postby oldrayj » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Wiring the end stops turned out to be very simple. I was thrown off-guard by the three wire system, being used to two wire mechanical end stops. For the Ramps 1.4 board, it's basically plug and play. The Out pin on the end stop goes to the S pin on the Ramps board. Vcc goes to + (plus) and of course Gnd goes to - (negative).
I hooked up all six end stops and initially tested them using Pronterface. I held down each spring on the end stop while sending m119 to the board. Pronterface reports "Triggered" when contact is made.
I couldn't get Pronterface to move the axes until I temporarily hooked up the thermistors. It kept shutting down do to a MIN TEMP error (apparently a safety feature in the event of thermistor failure). After doing so, I was able to jog and home on all axes. Success!
oldrayj

Postby reprapdiscount » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:59 am

The endstops i designed for the ord bot, you can easy fix them as shown in my picture attached

reprapdiscount_endstops_ordbot.jpg
reprapdiscount endstops designed for b.drings ord bot
[quote="oldrayj"]
http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/

Best Regards,
reprapdiscount

Contacts:

google talk: reprapdiscount
whatsapp: +8613267235555 (preferable)
wechat: reprapdiscount (preferable)
QQ: reprapdiscount
phone: +8613267235555
reprapdiscount

Postby jafenske » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Why do you need six end stops? Won't three suffice. You have three so the machine can find home and then in firmware set the max travel length for each axis.
jafenske

Postby reprapdiscount » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:35 am

jafenske wrote:Why do you need six end stops? Won't three suffice. You have three so the machine can find home and then in firmware set the max travel length for each axis.

answer is simple; it's more secure, all my kits has this endstops anyway included, some users need it some users not every one decide on his own
http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/

Best Regards,
reprapdiscount

Contacts:

google talk: reprapdiscount
whatsapp: +8613267235555 (preferable)
wechat: reprapdiscount (preferable)
QQ: reprapdiscount
phone: +8613267235555
reprapdiscount

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:50 am

Three homing switches are enough, but you need six limit switches, aka endstops. Of course, in the ORD Bot and most other printers and small CNC machines, three of the limit switches are also used as homing switches, but that is not necessarily true in general. At any rate, it makes no sense to have only three endstops. That's like locking only the doors on the left side of your car.

That said, I think you're actually questioning the usefulness of having the limit feature at all, vs. homing only. Limit switches are not a must-have, but they are nice because they detect some types of mistake early. Also, some firmwares can use the limit switches to auto-detect the size of the machine and self-configure (which is not a terribly important feature in my book, but it's an example of their use).
cvoinescu

Return to ORD Bot