Adapting existing laser with home built gantry

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Adapting existing laser with home built gantry

Postby Rocky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:55 am

Hey guys.

Got a question about the gantry.

I currently have a FSlaser hobby laser. Its a piece of crap. It sticks and binds. For its whole life (2 years) I could only
cut in a 6x6in area, or else it would bind. And now it wont even do that. I have gone through every fix they have sent me
and nothing works.

So, do you think it would be possible to build my own rails for the y axis (the only axis that sticks)?

I looked the machine over and it looks like I should be able to get the mounting onto a plate that would secure to
the makerslide.

But I have never done something like this before so I wanted to get your opinions on whether this would be easy, or if I
am going to run into problems.
Rocky

Re: Adapting existing laser with home built gantry

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:06 pm

It really depends on whether you are "mechanically inclined" or not. Some people can whip up accurate linear motion systems out of empty tin cans and discarded ping-pong balls; some people can't follow directions to assemble Ikea furniture. You'll probably need to make a few parts to adapt the MakerSlide to the rest of the laser. You may need to drill holes and cut metal to make brackets, or design parts for 3D printing -- it all depends on what you feel more comfortable doing, what tools and equipment you have access to, and what exactly you're replacing in the laser.
cvoinescu

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 pm

You may also come check out the forum at http://fslusers.freeforums.org/ where we deal more specifically with FSL machines.

Which model of laser do you have? Gen4 hobby?
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby goldbuy02 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:43 am

Example states that a lot of the people was over small business owner.
goldbuy02

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.