Cheap China laser machine for parts for a larger laser

General discussion of laser machines

Cheap China laser machine for parts for a larger laser

Postby Tklus » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Hey guys,
Thinking about building a laser machine utilizing maker slide for the linear motion. I want the foot print to be at least 20"x30"

With all the Chinese 8x12 lasers for around $350 would it make sense to buy one of those just for parts? The cost of a laser tube, lens, mirrors and power supply if purchased seperatly on eBay is more than a full smal machine. I plan on using grbl and a gshield for linear motion. Seems like if the parts for the cheap machines are ok this might be a good way to go.

What are your thoughts? I am new to this and learning as much as I can before I start the build. I have built a shapeoko 2 and almost done with my openbuilds OX 2'x4' router.
Thanks,
Tim
Tklus

Re: Cheap China laser machine for parts for a larger laser

Postby sshwarts » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:37 pm

In my opinion, the parts you'll get out of it aren't worth the money. You've already got the skill set from your other builds and if you hunt around a bit, you can find quality parts at good prices. There's some things you don't want to skimp on, the power supply for one (both electronics and laser) and the tube and optics.

Scott
sshwarts

Postby Tklus » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:54 pm

That's what I was concerned with, are the components lower quality than the standard stuff available on eBay individually. I would have thought it is all the same coming out of China but I don't know...

Thanks
Tim
Tklus

Postby rsm5178 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:04 am

There are different grades of optics. I'm not sure what the k40 lasers come with. Based on price, I'm thinking they come with the lesser quality.

At least when you buy from a place like Lightobject , yoy get at least some kind of warranty and support.

Rich
rsm5178

Return to General