DSP to Laser P/S wiring

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

DSP to Laser P/S wiring

Postby Tomi » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:54 pm

I tried to wire up the DSP with the laser tube power supply. Tought I could make the manual button (trigger) of the interface mobile and making aligning a lot easier.

• Bart's document (D32014_rev_3.pdf, found on the 2x Drawings) wires the DSP TTL+ with the level high on the power supply.
    • Lightobjects document (DSP typical minimum operational connections.pdf, found on lightobject.info) wires TTL- to level low.

I tried both – both not working! :cry:

- Does the wiring make a difference? If so, which would you suggest?
- Should I consider a failure of the power supply? Manual trigger on the p/s works fine.
- how could I make the manual trigger on Barts interface panel work?

Any comments and hints very welcome. Thanks and sunny greetings - Tomi
Tomi

Re: DSP to Laser P/S wiring

Postby J45on » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:44 pm

I don't know if if this helps but Thunderlasers document mentions both high and low TTL conections
I followed the light object "typical minimum connection configuration " as I could make no sense of this one :oops:
I have attached it bellow

User%20manual%20of%20mainboard_v1-3.12.pdf
(633.67 KiB) Downloaded 1080 times
J45on

Postby naPS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Are you using revision 1 or 2 of the interface panel, or are you wiring directly to the laser power supply?
naPS

Postby J45on » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:17 pm

I believe tomi has version two with the blue panel and blue metal cased main unit.
Please ignore that I miss read the question :oops:
J45on

Postby dcassyc1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:17 am

Hi all,
I'm having problems connecting my DSP board version 2, to the Laser power supply too. If laser PS is disconnected from DSP I can fire the laser with the red Test Pushbutton on PS but if PS is plugged into DSP as outlined in installation direction, the laser fires continuously at 10 MA whenever the machine is powered up, and there's no control over the laser at all.
I'm using an interconnection diagram with the page entitled ' 4. Power supply connection ' I had to send my DSP to Marco at Lightobject, in order to get it configured, and he assured me that it was functioning properly with his laser PS.
He mentioned there are 2 versions of laser PS; analog control and PWM control. Marco suggested I move the J5 jumper from 1-2 position to 2-3 position for PWM control. J5 is located next to LP-1 terminal block.
I moved the jumper but there's no change in condition. I wrote to King at Thunderlaser, his laser PS looks identical to mine, and he sent me a diagram with a connection between either TTL low or TTH high, DSP to PS, identical to the drawing in thiis post.
Has anyone tried this single connection, and did it work OK?
What position should the J5 jumper be in if I'm using the same sort of PS as King at Thunderlaser?
Does anyone have any documentation available for this DSP board?
The Thunderlaser diagram shows 2 ( safety ) switches wired in, one for water, and the other for cover interlock. Do the switches open on a fault or close?
In other words, if the lid is opened, does the lid switch go open contact?
My K40 machine has neither water or lid interlock switches, so I suppose it wire right through.
If anyone needs pictures of what I've got, I can upload whatever you require,
regards,
Denis
dcassyc1

Postby Tomi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:51 am

naPS wrote:Are you using revision 1 or 2 of the interface panel, or are you wiring directly to the laser power supply?

I received version 2 of the interface panel. Till now, I wired the DSP directly to the power supply – but I would like to place the panel in between.

J45on wrote:I believe tomi has version two with the blue panel and blue metal cased main unit.

And this is also true for the DSP… ;)
Tomi

Postby bdring » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:25 am

The interlock and limit switches all close on activation. If you open the cover the switch closes contacts. If anything touches a limit switch they close contacts. The water switch opens on contact. I have the latest Thunderlaser DSP controller in my laser now. The schematic below shows how I hooked it up. All switches are drawn in the "normal" (not pushed) state. I followed twehr's instructions and had no trouble getting it running.

I also tested it on a bench first with loose motors and switches, just to make sure I understood everything. My power supply does not have any test switch or jumper. You can use a meter to check voltages rather than hooking it to the laser initially.

It might help to draw a schematic of your setup. I can send a DXF/DWG of any of my schematics if you want a head start.

Schematic
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:10 pm

bdring wrote:I followed twehr's instructions and had no trouble getting it running.

I have updated my setup document to include an appendix with a link for Bart's schematic of the DSP Laser 2.x connections. Should be really handy for anyone going that route.

The full document is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MPquPe3w5-v0BkvWy9bR_-cNtyD4gUKYNVi_pJFrl3g/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=COGfhPoG
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby bdring » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:27 pm

The forum is great place for new questions, but it was taking a lot of time for me to find the old answers,so I started a FAQ style page on the DSP controller. I will transfer info and links as time goes on. It is very light right now.

http://www.buildlog.net/DSP/index.html

FYI: If you link to my PDFs try to use this type of link.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... ber=D32016

This goes through a database to get the latest revision. This way forum links always go to the latest revision. If you need to refer to a specific revision add "&rev=x" like below. Not all old revs are in the system, but if they are, they won't go away later.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... 2014&rev=2
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:45 pm

bdring wrote:FYI: If you link to my PDFs try to use this type of link.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/g ... ber=D32016

This goes through a database to get the latest revision. This way forum links always go to the latest revision.

I changed my link.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller