Chinese Glass Tubes - Fact or Fiction

General discussion of laser machines

Chinese Glass Tubes - Fact or Fiction

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 am

There is a lot of talk online about the internal coolant flow in these Chinese tubes and I just wanted to separate fact from fiction.

A user on cnczone mentioned that there is metal (I believe they said aluminum) in the tubes which actually comes into contact with the liquid coolant. I don’t see how this can be true as the coolant would then become charged with 22KV.

Someone on CNCZone said that the beam actually passes through the coolant briefly; now this just seems crazy to me. I can’t find any places where the laser beam would actually pass through the coolant.

Again, I don’t believe either of these is true but I figured I would ask just to make sure I’m not missing something.
-Ben

My Lasers:
40w CO2 Laser (Chinese Glass Tube), Directed Energy Inc. 30w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), Laakmann Electro-Optics 20w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), 7-10w RF CO2 Laser
Coherent 12w 808nm FAP LASER DIODE
MELLES GRIOT He-Ne Laser
Ben

Re: Chinese Glass Tubes - Fact or Fiction

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:10 am

No, the anode and cathode do not touch the liquid in the Chinese tubes.
lasersafe1

Postby bdring » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:58 pm

The coolant can't pass through water or probably any other liquid. I always wanted to see what happen, so I tried it.

Not very exiting, but you can see all energy is dissipated right at the top. about 30 Watts, slightly defocused.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:57 pm

lasersafe1 wrote:No, the anode and cathode do not touch the liquid in the Chinese tubes.

This is good news as the vast majority of the radiators I have on hand are copper.

bdring wrote:The coolant can't pass through water or probably any other liquid. I always wanted to see what happen, so I tried it.

Not very exiting, but you can see all energy is dissipated right at the top. about 30 Watts, slightly defocused.

PERFECT! I had theorized that the water would absorb the energy from the beam.
-Ben

My Lasers:
40w CO2 Laser (Chinese Glass Tube), Directed Energy Inc. 30w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), Laakmann Electro-Optics 20w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), 7-10w RF CO2 Laser
Coherent 12w 808nm FAP LASER DIODE
MELLES GRIOT He-Ne Laser
Ben

Return to General