2012 AWE-608 Network support

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Re: 2012 AWE-608 Network support

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 am

Marco,

I have your version 1 and I love it. It does just about everything I need and it seems that there would be a large audience for a more affordable unit. One look in the gallery at my black granite engravings is evidence that it is very capable. Some of my best works are not even posted there because I have to keep some works private.

You could restart version 1, but somehow though I don't understand how it can actually be very much cheaper to build than your newest unit. Sometimes older chips actually become more expensive than the newer more powerful replacements.

If I have one complaint, it would be that your computer software outgrew my hardware. I guess I had what is not your version 1, but perhaps your version 0.9, because I was seeing updates come out that my hardware could not run. I like the more modern approach of making hardware where the firmware it contains can be upgraded by downloading a new file to upgrade it. If I am going to purchase a new unit to replace my present unit, I will be wanting one that can receive firmware updates. I think others would agree that this can be one of the biggest selling points.

-John
lasersafe1

Postby Speedythinker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:19 am

Hello John:

Thank you for you input. The only drawback for the "version 1" is that everything is set, in both hardware and software. It can't be upgraded as the original designer is somehow made enough money and quit the job. He won't release the sources code. So,it is "sold as is" unit. But the price is unbeatable for such high performance DSP controller. I make sure the price won't go higher than $300 and possible be $285 if demanding is high.

Currently, only the 2012 model (AWE-608) or future product is upgradable through the U-drive (memory drive). Plus, the new model come with 5 auxiliary I/O ports for future expansion. The card can do more as it's upon user request.

The version 1 still, come with a LCD panel in silver/gray panel. I got the good price as long as I order 200x at a time. I think that it's a good price for folks to do upgrade the K40 or other machine without paying big buck for 2012. The 2012 is totally a different product apart from the version 1 and it's targeting to the business user. It's at least 30% faster than the our 2011 model with networking support. I'll discuss more with my partner see if there is a possible to get a price break. Currently I'm ordering 25x in each shipment and price is pretty low compare to other buyer. I don't think anyone get lower price than me as I'm their direct distributor in US. Note: I'm not working for Thunder man :lol: , the big head pretender! Not sure if they're willing to drop price for me say if I order 50x at a time. Business is a business, they have to protect their market.

Marco
Speedythinker

Postby iGull » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am

Hi

I'm with John on the hardware outrunning the software. Perhaps making the software multiplatform (you know where I'm going here ;) ) and perhaps even allowing an opensource software version would keep the whole thing fluid (and create more end users and more £$$£ for LO :D )

Network is an excellent feature - I'm surprised it wasn't included from the start though?

There, I didn't mention Macs once ;)

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Speedythinker wrote:Currently, only the 2012 model (AWE-608) or future product is upgradable through the U-drive (memory drive).
Marco

Can you completely say this is true? Have you considered what might happen if the engineer designing the firmware right now decides to quit? Would this put you in the same condition you had with your version 1? Do you have your own copy of the source code and is the code properly documented so another programmer can take over?

What Neil just mentioned would solve this problem. If the card firmware and computer side software can be made open source, then you would have many many people keeping it alive in the open source community and making many improvements that we haven't even dreamed of yet. Your net profit would not be affected at all since all the software would require your hardware. Perhaps I am being ignorant. You have a pretty great thing going and you probably don't want to take a chance on anybody being able to copy the hardware, firmware, or the PC software.
lasersafe1

Postby Speedythinker » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:46 am

I wish I owned the card and the people there and make all request at will, but I'm not. I can only work alone with them and make some suggestions per request. Something is really out of my control like if the programmer quit or whaterver changes happened to the company. Let's double finger and hopeing that it won't happended.

However, I don't want to turn you guys down though. After discussion with the programmer, he said that he would work out something that allow open sources to some extent that allowing folks developing their module on Mac or Linux. But it would take a while and be expecting 3 months (I guess). We are now thinking to add 5" touchscreen on the LCD panel for future version. But intereference from the PS could be an issue. If the issue could be fixed, a touchscreen LCD could be possible available by the end of this year but no gurantee.

Marco
Speedythinker

Postby lasersafe1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Touch screens are definitely top end now, but eventually everything will be touch screen because prices will fall. The question is whether or not you want to lead the pack even though it will make the unit more expensive now. I use the Reach 4.3" TFT touch screen in my business. It is very easy to program, so you can get a system running in days. Single units are expensive, but in bulk the price comes down closer to OEM costs for your own solution. They didn't have a bezel that suited my application, so I designed my own and now have it injection molded. The bezel can hold the screen on the surface of a box (laser enclosure), or it can be attached to a 2 gang outlet box for projects that would be for a home or office solution. I now sell them to Reach so they can offer them with their modules.

Above all, keep a lower cost module around for the hobbiests. Perhaps the low cost module would not have a screen at all, but be entirely controlled by PC (MAC).

http://www.reachtech.com/
snap.jpg
Reach 4.3" TFT touch screen.
lasersafe1

Previous

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller