Filament Spool Carrier Contest

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Filament Spool Carrier Contest

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 pm

I like what I see so far.

Dual extruders are the next obvious step, so keep that in mind. If your design is small and cheap then, just two side by side is a option, but if the design is larger it might need to be incorporated into it.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Mine could handle dual filament I think, you would just need another set of mounts
Enraged

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:13 pm

@mattrsch

I wonder if your design could use 4 standard ORD Bot feet in the corners. The lower two holes could attach to the long extrusion. The outside upper hole could be used to mount the shorter extrusion and the inside upper hole could mount the roller. I think the O.D. of the conduit is less than 20mm.

The trick with your design is to find the optimal length that works well for both diameters.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mattrsch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:37 pm

bdring wrote:@mattrsch

I wonder if your design could use 4 standard ORD Bot feet in the corners. The lower two holes could attach to the long extrusion. The outside upper hole could be used to mount the shorter extrusion and the inside upper hole could mount the roller. I think the O.D. of the conduit is less than 20mm.

The trick with your design is to find the optimal length that works well for both diameters.

Good idea! I'll model it up as soon as I get home.
mattrsch

Postby Oli » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:02 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Oli on Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oli

Postby mattrsch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 am

bdring wrote:@mattrsch

Here it is with the ORD bot feet. It is quit a bit simpler, and it looks way better. It really has that ORD bot ascetic now

Empty ordfeet.jpg
Empty

5lb ordfeet.jpg
With 5 lb spool

1lb ordfeet.jpg
With 1 lb spool

I have the rollers spaced 170mm apart on center. It seems to work pretty well for these two spools.

Oli,
You could also throw a big floppy extension spring through the hole and hook it on a couple bolts in the side of the extrusion. Something like McMaster # 9640K151 should work.
mattrsch

Postby mattrsch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 am

Oli,
After looking at your image again I have a better idea of what you meant. If you get the parts for this dispenser from the hardware store you probably have enough leftover conduit and threaded rod to add another roller for retention (just need 2 extra bearings):
1lb ordfeet with retainer.png

Just slide in the extra rod in the hole and hook a couple of light springs or cheap bungee cords straight down to the extrusion.
mattrsch

Postby Oli » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:38 pm

[deleted]
Oli

Previous

Return to ORD Bot